Friday, June 12, 2009

New Old Job

So, these past few months have been looking for a new job. I've been working "perdiem" which means on an as needed basis. In this position, I didn't have health benefits, sick, vacation or retirement benefits but got paid more hourly. It has never been a problem to get hours and so I've worked full time hours but at the perdiem rate. I've been doing this for about 10 years. Then University recently has been trying to get all of their perdiem employees to either go part time or full time. I didn't really want to do this because I figured I would take a big pay cut and not have the flexibility with my schedule. One of the nice things also about being perdiem is that I can pick and choose when I work. I don't have to do any holidays. After looking around and having some interviews, I ended up getting a position in the resource pool at the University. This was really the job I wanted because I can still have the flexible schedule, I just have to work my 32 hours/week. The resource pool is the float pool for the hospital and you get sent everywhere, where ever there is a need. I was worried about my pay rate but found out that since I have been a nurse for so long, I actually am going to make a little bit more per hour than I did perdiem. I'm excited to have good health benefits and sick and vacation time too. I call this my "new old job" because I used to work in the float pool in the late 90's but I'm excited to start there again especially in this crappy economy, I'm grateful to have a good job and benefits.

2 comments:

Melodie said...

We are happy for you!!

Kristi Amasio said...

It's so great. You have the perfect job!