Monday, September 7, 2009

In Memory of PJ


My cousin PJ passed away in a horrible car accident on the morning of August 27th. It was and is still such a shock to me. As I have thought about writing this blog, I wasn't sure what I could say that would do him justice. He truly was a beautiful person inside and out. I remember the morning of the 27th, I was getting Noah off to school and I checked KSL (It's kind of a habit I have every morning) and I remember seeing this horrific car accident involving a SUV and a semi and I just remember thinking that there could be no way that the driver of that SUV survived. Just a few hours later, I got the news that PJ had died in a car accident and I just knew it was the one I had seen on KSL, and it was. He had been going through some rough times but was eager to "start over". He had just started school at SLCC and had just gotten sealed in the temple to his daughter Zaida. He had a bright new outlook on life. He wrote in his journal just a couple of weeks before he died about how excited he was to be getting his life on track. It seems so unfair that he would be taken from this world when it just seemed like he was finally going where he needed to be. I guess the Lord had bigger plans for him on the other side. His funeral was August 31st. It was a beautiful service. Kelly spoke and did such an awesome job as always. Tim, PJ's brother, also gave a wonderful talk. I can't even begin to imagine the pain that Mark and Karen have and are experiencing. I hope this is one trial I don't have to face. PJ always made me feel like such a beautiful person, always complimenting me. Two years ago, he actually invited me to his work Christmas party. He didn't have a date and wanted to know if I would go with him. I was so flattered that he would even consider wanting to go with me. I had to work and wasn't able to go. Looking back now I really wish I would have called in sick and gone with him. What a fun memory that would have been. The family had these nice tiles made for everyone that resemble the headstone he will have. I put it on my bookshelf and will think of him often. He is buried by his friend Kenny, who passed away a few years ago from diabetic complications. A lot of his close friends he had were from diabetic camp. PJ was just like a brother growing up. Our families spend a lot of time together, especially at the holidays. These are some of my favorite pictures of PJ. He was such a handsome guy.


I know that he is okay and watching over us.
PJ as a little boy and Uncle Mark
This is one of my favorite pictures



This is the table they had set up with PJ's pictures, scriptures, books and his journal
Tim, Cliff, Karen, Mark and Julie

We love you PJ. You will never be forgotten. We will cherish the time we had with you here on earth. RIP PJ.

2 comments:

Kristi Amasio said...

Man seeing the pic of his casket, just gives me chills. I still can't believe it. I am still so sad he will be missed so much!!! Good job on the post Cin, I know it was a hard one.

susan said...

How sad. I am sorry for your loss. I hope you and your family can find some peace.